The biggest reason for most box gutter, sumps, eaves gutter and downpipe failure is a failure to implement a cleaning maintenance programme. These above named rainwater goods should be visually checked and cleaned at a minimum of once every 6 months.
It is usually advisable to install a sump guard protector with an overflow fitted to it so as you can also insure against foreign material flowing down the downpipes and minimizing a blockage in the downpipe or the storm water, thus elevating the chances of a flow into the building of water egress.
Dirt tends to accumulate in the box gutter protected by the overhang of the roof sheet. Before Aus Struct installs box gutters the following procedures are undertaken;
- Existing area for box gutter is sized to suit roof water catchment volume
- Existing sumps and downpipes are sized correctly
- An overflow system is sized accordingly
- Adequate support and fall is correct
- Dissimilar metals are not present
- Materials to be replaced are suitable